Thursday, March 27, 2008

My tail's draggin'...

What a week! Monday I was supposed to be in lecture (we were polishing our EKG skills this time around) but the hospital that has hired me for their internship in Labor and Delivery wanted me there to do an orentation. So I arranged to attend my EKG lectures with the evening class at the nursing school and toddled off to my orientation.

It was rather boring as orientations go - security, benefits, information technology, cultural diversity, etc. The differences were really cool, though! This lasted two days (Monday and Tuesday) and each day began with prayer. At one point the hospital chaplain came in and spoke to us about the mission of the hospital and the fact that we needed to embrace that mission - the mission? "To extend the healing ministry of Jesus Christ". At the end of the second day we all trooped down the the beautiful chapel and he led a mini service of commissioning to all the new hired employees. I am not personally Catholic, but it was REALLY cool! His prayers were genuine and heartfelt and I was amazed at the presence of the Lord in that place! At the end of the service he got a small crystal bowl filled with pins of the hospital logo - blessed them and then gave one to each of us with a personal word of blessing - again, not what I am accustomed to in my Nazarene church, but a really neat thing nonetheless!

During this orientation I was given a work schedule and informed that I needed to attend a computer training session for the week. So I finished basic orientation on Tuesday evening and then had to be at the hospital at 7 AM on Wednesday for orientation on the floor! I put in 12 hours yesterday doing that and I came home totally whipped! This morning was my computer training until noon and then I have to do another 12 hours in on floor on Saturday - after that I will work each Wednesday and Saturday from 7PM until 7AM. I am hoping to get some study time in in the middle of the night when all my patients are asleep. Maybe that is a dream, but I can hope, huh?

Tomorrow is my "day off" and I have clinicals for school! I will be in the Endoscopy unit again. I need to finish a care plan for my patient from ICU, but can't seem to dredge up the energy for some reason! Have I mentioned lately that I am SO ready to graduate??

Hope you have a wonderful weekend - I am still hoping to find time soon for a trip to find bluebonnets...

6 comments:

Dori Overman said...

Bluebonnets aren't here yet but when they are I'll let you know...you know that one great spot we use? It was amazing last year. they are saying it's not going to be so good this year. I'm planning on coming to you pinning...

A Romantic Porch said...

Oh Naomi, That sounds exhausting. Keep up the good work! Love,Rachel

Karla Cook @ Roads to Everywhere said...

Here's a link to the book review blog alliance I was telling you about:

It is actually 3 separate "sister" blog alliances. One is for fiction (on the first of the month), one is for non-fiction (on the 15th), and one for teen fiction (on the 21st). You would need to sign up for each one separately to get in on all 3 of them.

Karla Cook @ Roads to Everywhere said...

Whoops! Didn't mean to link the whole paragraph... but that should work, anyway!

A Romantic Porch said...

yaD s'looF lirpA yppaH

Florida Bozone Bunch said...

Naomi, It was so good to see your comment on my blog. I was pleasantly surprised. It has been so long since I have heard any news from you. It is nice to know that you still exist. I look forward on keeping in touch with you through blogland.