Sunday, March 9, 2008

Another "Sick Sunday"

A Pair of Beaded sock just for fun! A Mommy Bracelet of "right angle weave" with Swarovski crystals and pearls"
Pinky Puppy Bracelet
Santa Girl Bracelet

I know, I know!! Can you stand it? TWO posts from me in less than two days?? What HAS gotten into me?

Weeeeeelllll, Melissa kept me up most of the night with her seal-bark cough and I am exhausted! Randy was going to stay home with her today since I stayed home with Jamison last week, but I think by the time I finished giving medical instructions to him, he was a mite intimidated! So here we are! She is begging to "go make faiwies" which involves plopping her 42-lb self on my aching lap and going to http://www.disneyfairies.com/ to play! She loves this activity - you can choose hairstyles, clothes, etc in all sorts of colors and styles for your fairy then print her off in a multitude of fun stuff: stationary, cards etc. The problem? She can spend literally hours doing it!

So the cabin fever continues... I should study, but I am rather burned out on it and since this coming week is my spring break, I keep telling myself that I am due a break. What I really need to do is clean house, but what fun is that?? Oh okay, it IS pretty cool having everything pretty and spotless.

I have recently started a new chore schedule for me and the children. I have enjoyed watching all the Dugger family movies on TLC - and am so impressed with how well organized their home is for having so many people living there. While I am not quite ready to convert a bedroom into a community closet, I did feel like I could try a few of their ideas. So we had a family meeting (I used the HATE these when I was a kid - it was always fine, but I guess I was always afraid I was the one in trouble!) and discussed the need for better organization and cleanliness in our home. Everyone was on board with the idea so I made up a chart with three "jursidictions" (a Dugger term) for each child. Andrew is responsible for the 1st floor living room, the formal dining room, and the guest bathroom; Brendan keeps the dishwasher unloaded, keeps up with the game room on the 2nd floor and keeps his bedroom up; Jamison is responsible for the boys bathroom, the bedroom he shares with Andrew, and keeping the kitchen table cleaned off; Missa does her own bedroom, the hall, and helps Mommy. My jobs include my bedroom, the kitchen, and meals (and everything else). Randy does the lawns, the cars, and the garage. This pretty much covers the house. So far it is really working well - Randy takes everyone who has done their jursidictions to the library on the weekends - they all work hard for that one. We also have other surprises in place for when they complete their chores.

I have tried lots of other chore stuff in the past, but with so many of us and the kids at so many different stages, it just got too complicated and we would give up. This is very simple. I have a chart on the fridge with each child's three jursidictions listed by their name and shaded in that child's favorite color for easy reference. We are slowly working through the house deep cleaning each room one at a time. Once a room is cleaned thoroughly, the child assigned to that room is expected to keep it clean.

Okay, that is way more than you wanted to know - as you can tell, I am lonely and bored today! If you have stuck with me this far, bless you!

I am going to add some photos of some of the bracelets I have made for all who are interested. Let me know what you think!





4 comments:

pse said...

Great post!! Wish I'd had those ideas when my children were young and at home. Wonder who I could assign some jursidictions to now? Cute pictures!

Karla Cook @ Roads to Everywhere said...

I wondered when you were gonna get on board!!

Dori Overman said...

Yeah! You are blogging! I wish you were here to help me deep clean myhouse! Jurisdictions? Wonder what Garrett's would be? Bwahh! hah! Hah!

A Romantic Porch said...

Well, I stuck with you! Great idea on the jurisdictions! And the beading stuff is SO cute. I've been so anxious to see it. xoRachel