Sunday, May 18, 2008

Okay, okay! I will satisfy your curiosity! Many of you may be aware that I have enjoyed making dolls in various mediums over the years. I began making porcelain dolls around 1991 and enjoyed that for quite some time. Mother makes dolls occasionally with the few doll molds I have but that is far away and that process is so complicated and time consuming I just haven't done anything for years.

I have tried my hand at a few other dolls over the years but haven't found one that really suits me (I guess I am too detail-oriented!) until I ran across a photograph of a "Steiner" doll (also called a "Waldorf" doll). It has taken some research and digging, but I have finally cobbled together how to make these little darlin's and a wee bit of history behind them.

The origins of this type of doll are European, possibly German in the late 19th century (maybe early 20th). A lady named Kathe Kruse began producing cloth dolls with papier-mache heads that were covered with stockinette cloth. They are no longer made this way but are a combination of the needle sculpting techniques (remember Cabbage Patch Kids?) which are then covered with stockingette which makes them SO much cuter! The original concept was to keep the details to a minimum to stimulate the child's imagination. I think they are stinkin' cute! You know the little kids on the Kleenex commercials? Steiner dolls! Anyway, I am experimenting so keep watching! If I get good results, you might see some for sale!

For now, you can see my inspiration:



Let me know what you think!
More later...

5 comments:

Dori Overman said...

now THOSE are cute! My girls need one!

Aliene said...

You always were talented. Seems you can do what you set your mind to do. Dori said her girls needed a doll, well I need one too. Guess I'm going back to childhood.
I think the pics are precious.

Glad you are blogging again. You girls are so much fun. Remember us sneaking in the kitchen and getting the veggie tray and dip in the night? That's when ya'll lived in Ohio. I had a lot of fun then.
Oh well, so much for the dolls. Love you, Aunt Lene

Karla Cook @ Roads to Everywhere said...

Hey! You could copy the header to your computer and add a title yourself. That doesn't require altering the html. Then make yourself a signature to match and post it as a photo, copy the html and then post it under Settings, then Formatting, then Post Template.

A Romantic Porch said...

Naomi, You are amazing. I know your dolls will be way more adorable that the pictures, but thanks for showing what has inspired you! xoRachel

LaRona said...

As I told Dori, I am literally amazed at the talent God poured out on the three Ezell sisters! Wow!