Tuesday, January 13, 2009

January

I know, I know... it's been forever since I posted! It seems like the holidays just swooshed upon us with a huge blast and I have landed on the other side with a big ole "thud"! Mom and Dad came from Arkansas for Christmas and truthfully, if it hadn't been for their arrival I am not sure how I would have made it through the Christmas season! Mom dug out a Christmas tree the day before Christmas and got the kids to help her decorate it. I know, I am a terrible mother to not get a Christmas tree up until December 24th - but it's still up! Does that count for something? No, I didn't think so - unfortunately it is just a sign of the chaos my life has become!

Due largely to our stinkin' (and that is a NICE word for them) insurance company, we STILL are living in only about half of our house - it has come to the point where it is making me absolutely NUTS! I am ready to hang sheetrock myself - if we could just get the funds released to do that! First they sent a check to us for a part of the repairs (only part, mind you...) but put the mortgage company on it too. But that mortgage company was paid off over six years ago - we no longer have an account with them! I won't go into all the grim details, but I am just right disgusted with the whole deal! Anyone want a damaged house for real cheap?

Work is keeping me hopping. We typically like to have a doctor in the room when a baby is born, but sometimes that doesn't happen. When a baby is born without a doctor's hands on it, it is referred to as a precipitous delivery - I got my first one on New Year's Day and it was the first baby born in Katy! It was truly a rush and everything went well (to my great relief). I am happy to report Mom and Baby are both doing well!

Melissa is now enrolled in ballet and will be dancing in Swan Lake in March and a recital in May. She is so excited! She still remembers a lot of what she learned last year when she took two semesters from Dance Fun. This is a much more structured school and I am hoping for a more "classical" training style for her. She is so young, but just loves it and really wants to do it. I guess we will keep it up as long as she likes it - and when she doesn't like it anymore, we will look for alternatives.

I have been sewing some on my days off since Mom was here for Christmas. I don't know what it is about being around her that puts me in the mood to sew, but I have made two jumpers and a pants/top outfit for Melissa. I found a great website with good children's patterns from Europe and that makes me happy... I have found the mainstream pattern companies are largely disappointing these days in the children's clothing department. When I was young we sewed because it was cheaper - that is no longer true! I sew because I enjoy it and because I prefer the unique over the common. As soon as I can get my laptop to cooperate with me, I will post pictures of Missa's new wardrobe.

I have been writing this between checking on a very sick patient so I need to go check on her again. What are ya'll up to these days?

2 comments:

Dori Overman said...

I'm hoping to mail a package to you TODAY!!!

A Romantic Porch said...

Well...now you my dear are busy! I've been told that I have a very colorful life, but after reading this post, I'm not so sure. xo rachel