Saturday, July 19, 2008

Busy Life

I am finally getting a post done! I have been so swamped at work at night and kids in the daytime that I haven't taken a minute to write. Randy and I went on our first cruise on July 3rd. We set sail out of the filthy dirty waters of Galveston Bay and when we woke up the next morning, the water was a beautiful royal blue - the Carribean Sea is SO much prettier than the Gulf! We had a great time being together. Randy's parents went with us and that was fun too.

This is Randy and I standing on the dock in Cozumel, Mexico. The ship farthest away is the Carnival ship "Fantasy". The one closer to us is the "Ecstacy" - our ship. This thing is SO incredibly massive!

Room service was incredible. If you left your cabin for 15 minutes, they had been there to straighten things up. Each night when we got back from dinner the beds had been turned down with a chocolate mint on the pillow. Every night there was a different critter made of fresh towels on the bed too. This was the first one - an adorable elephant! They picked up my sunglasses from the desk and perched on his trunk - isn't he cute? Later in the week they had a class on making the towel animals that Randy and I went to. I really thought it was just for me and Randy was just being polite to come along - but he really got into the spirit of the thing and helped out. We had a blast and now if you come to see me, you might be surprised what you find on your bed every night!



The food was fantastic and I have just now gotten off the last of the six pounds I gained those four days!

Work is going great. I am really enjoying the experience and already have some stories to tell! I am amazed at the young teenage girls giving birth! Mostly hispanic and they seem to think it is a fabulous thing to be still in school, unwed and pregnant. So sad to me. We have been really busy the last two weeks - lots of babies due in July. I have done mostly c-section births. My supervisor had worried that I would not get enough time in the OR with the c-sections so had arranged for me to do several weeks of day shift after school started. My preceptor told me that I had done so much in the OR so far that I might not have to swing to days after all! I really do enjoy the night shift and would love to not have to move to days.

One of the days right before we left for the cruise when Mom and Dad were here I was scheduled to work. After I left Melissa told Mom that "Mommy went to work to hunt babies!" How funny, huh? After we got home she asked me to take her dolly to work to "see if I could find a baby in her tummy" - I wonder what she really thinks. I have told her that I "help mommies get their babies out" - maybe TMI for a four year old?

The boys have gone and come home from church camp. They all seemed to have a ball. Now I am packing for our trip to Disney World. We leave next Wednesday but I am trying to get as much done now as I can. I have to work tomorrow night and Monday night and our plane leaves really early Wednesday morning so I figured sooner was better than later. I found out on the cruise that when I try to pack after working a 12 hour shift the night before, important things get left behind!

No comments: