Thursday, June 12, 2008

I just LOVE peonies! I have always loved them and today I hit the jackpot at Randall's. I found these beauties alongside their hot pink sisters and snatched them right up! Trust me, the photos don't anywhere near do them justice - they are a stunning bright white with a gorgeous pink blush getting deeper as you get toward the outer petals. And the smell is divine! I wish you were here to enjoy them with me...Melissa is here to enjoy them with me! I sure wish I could grow these beauties, but alas my thumb is as brown as mud. Maybe someday I'll figure it out!
In other news... Andrew was awarded the highest honor our church awards in it's scouting program - this is the equivelant of an Eagle Scout! Get a load of the tie...
Tie notwithstanding, we are very proud of our son! You can kind of tell how tall he is - the kid standing to his right (the left in the photo) is the same age as he is and they are standing on the same step in our sanctuary!
Today I finally received the ATT for the NCLEX. (Authorization to test for state boards) This was a huge thing for me. This means by early next week you could log on to the website for the state of Texas and put in my name in the "graduate nurse" section and it should show that I am licensed! I had wanted to take the exam by the last week of June, but alas there are no test dates available at this time for that week - so I had to take early July. I really had wanted to get it over with while all the information was still fresh, but I suppose I will just keep on studying.
I am in "intern orientation" at the hospital. This is two full weeks of classes going over the policies and procedures of the hospital, touring each unit, going over the policies and procedures of the hospital, meeting all the administration, going over the policies and procedures of the hospital, dissecting crash carts, going over the policies and procedures of the hospital, learning every square inch and did I mention going over the policies and procedures of the hospital? So far I have received two three-inch binders and one two-inch binder full to bursting with papers and we are going over every one with a fine toothed comb - not to mention review and examinations on the computers. It does seem like these two weeks are taking about forty-'leven years to get through but I do know it will all be worth it in the end!
Today we went on "grand rounds"! Doesn't that sound professional? Grand rounds! It was very interesting - a group of people (one pharmacist, one dietician, one doctor, one cardiovascular nurse and six interns - plus a gaggle of ICU RNs) go around the acute care units of the hospital and review each patient to see if everything is being done appropriately for that patient. Is there anything new? Can this patient be moved to a less-acute area of the hospital, etc. It was a great learning experience, but I was ready to sit down by the time we stood around for several hours listening to various nurses give report on their patients!
We have started doing critical thinking exercises that are actually fun! I never thought I would say that! Critical thinking is something that is pounded into nursing students and the bane of our very existance - trust me, by the time you graduate if one more person tells you to "think critically" you are ready to help them... you get the idea! Anyway, when I saw that we had several hours over various days scheduled for these critical thinking exercises, my heart just dropped. But this has turned out to be fun! The education director at our hospital has these videos of very excellent actors acting out a problem and you get to diagnose the problem and pretend to act on what you see/hear. Mr. P is seen lying in the bed post thyroidectomy and you watch him start to squirm and become increasingly more agitated and then start to wheeze and grab his throat and chest - interpretation: compromised airway. Whatcha gonna do? Give oxygen, reposition, call the doctor, monitor. Prepare to give steroids and or intubate depending on the progression of the problem. Anyway, it is much more interesting than reading endless tomes on critical thinking!
I surprised Randy on our 16th anniversary with tickets to a four day cruise. We live close enough to Galveston that we can just drive to the dock the morning of departure so it should be a great little vacation. We will be sailing to Cozumel, Mexico on July 3rd and arriving back on July 7th. Mom and Dad are coming to take care of the house, kids and dog for us. Ya'll pray for them...

4 comments:

Brad and Emily said...

Hi Naomi! I got your message on facebook, and I spent a few minutes catching up on your blog! Congrats on all your nursing accomplishments! At which hospital are you working?
Our blog address is http://annaclaire2007.blogspot.com - I update it often. All is well here! We are enjoying living here. Take care!

pse said...

Good job, Andrew! The picture is a little dark to tell much about it, but we are proud of you anyway.

A Romantic Porch said...

Awesome Andrew! Way to go! Naomi, I think you may need to do just a little review on policies and procedures! xorachel

LaRona said...

Happy Anniversary, early! Enjoy a much needed vacation =)