Saturday, October 8, 2011

It has been so very long since I have posted to my blog but I have decided to "get back into the swing" and start doing it again.  Why?
1.  I have enjoyed looking back on what was going on years ago - it's nice having a record, ya' know?
2.  I have interesting stuff going on in my life right now.
3.  I am so fed up with Facebook, I can't even begin to tell you!  As a preacher's kid, I think I do quite well with change, thank you very much, but come on people - it's getting flat-out ridiculous!
4.  Sometimes a girl's just gotta vent!

So...let's start with my day today.  I wear several hats in the circus we call life right now.
1.  I wear a wife hat (think Lucille Ball with a dishtowel tied around her head - except not as organized)
2.  I wear a mom hat (not sure what this one looks like!)
3.  I wear the hat of a 1st Lt in the Civil Air Patrol.  No really.  See?
Okay, maybe not such a great example! (But I qualified as a pro-marksman with the NRA that day!  Hey, what's a bored medic to do on a live rifle range - you would have tried it too!)  How's this?
That's Andrew with me.  We were doing pass in review at Summer Encampment here. The CAP is the auxiliary of the US Air Force.  We do several things including training and search and rescue.  I am the medical officer for the Texas Wing and I attend several things throughout the year with one of these hats on to train, teach and advise.  Mostly I love it.  That day I was hot.  I think the coolest day we had this summer was still in the triple digits!  If you could have seen me from the back, you might have seen a sweat drop dripping down my back!  Ick...I despise being hot enough to sweat...but I digress.
4.  I am the volunteer coordinator for the Theatre Arts department at the junior high that is currently attended by our 13-year-old.  We still have two more kids to hit that school so I stay plugged in there in the department where I am most comfortable - drama!
5.  I am the secretary of the Taylor Hight School FFA Booster Club...

And I'm sure I might wear a few other hats once in a while but for now I'm gotta pause at the FFA thing because that is where this morning found us...at the district agriculture barn (from now on known as the "ag barn", 'k?) cleaning out the barn and getting set up for the student's  "projects" to arrive on Monday.  Andrew's "project" will be a pig again this year.

Last year he raised a pig with the apropos name of "Supper", from a piglet of 40 lbs to a 285 lb hog.  Supper made fifth place in the district when we took her to show in February.  Now, that might not seem like a big deal to some folks but 'round these here parts, we take our FFA showin' seriously!  There were a well over a hundred hogs in that show and for Andrew to place fifth, well let me tell ya' - we were some kind of happy!  Supper sold in the auction to a kind gentleman in Cypress and I would like to tell you that I was happy to see her go...the truth is I cried!  I was very against the whole "raising the pig" thing but she definitely grew on me!

So we got the barn cleaned out.  Then we had Ag-Olympics in which all the FFA kids from all the high schools in our district (seven schools) compete in things like tug-o-war and other made up games.  They were fun to watch.  This is a pic of the one Randy presided over...
Four kids laid (lay?  My father-in-law always corrects me on this and I can't ever remember which is correct!) on their backs with their feet in the air. A bucket full of water is balanced on their upraised feet and they all are challenged to remove their shoes without dumping the bucket.  Some teams did fantastic (the record was 14 seconds!)...
...and some teams were great fodder for a wandering photographer!  That water was COLD!

Okay...I guess you have enough to chew on for tonight.  I'll add more soon!  No, really!  I promise!  I had the most fun in the second half of the day when I made a life-size mannequin out of duct tape...story soon!

2 comments:

pse said...

Sounds like a fun day. I can't wait to see that manniquin!

Dori Overman said...

LOVE that u r blogging...love the entertainment.